Recipe for Chinese New Year Competition
Beef & Vermicelli Salad recipe
Beef and Vermicelli Salad
· 2 steaks
· Salt and freshly ground black pepper
· Olive oil spray
· 250g pkt bean vermicelli
· 1 carrot, peeled, halved lengthways and thinly sliced on the diagonal
· 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways and thinly sliced on the diagonal
· 1/2 cup lemon juice
· 2 tbsp fish sauce
· 1 tbsp brown sugar
· 1 single clove garlic, crushed
· 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
· 1 bunch of fresh coriander, leaves picked
1 Heat a heavy based frypan over a moderately high heat. Season the steaks with salt and pepper and spray lightly with the olive oil. Cook the steaks for 4 mins each side or until done to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to rest.
2 Place the vermicelli in a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for about 3 mins or until just soft, drain and rinse under cold water.
3 Toss the vermicelli with the carrot and cucumber. Slice the steaks into thin slices and toss through the vermicelli. Whisk together the lemon juice, fish sauce, sugar, garlic and chilli and toss through the salad. Add the coriander leaves and serve.